Dont include personal or financial information like your National Insurance number or credit card details.

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK governments understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full British Citizen passport.

Visitors travelling to Canada by air are now expected to get an electronic travel authorisation (eTA) to enter Canada.

To help us improve GOV.UK, wed like to know more about your visit today. Well send you a link to a feedback form. It will take only 2 minutes to fill in. Dont worry we wont send you spam or share your email address with anyone.

Someunauthorised websitescharge for submitting visa applications. These websites are not endorsed by or associated with the Canadian government. Be wary of such sites and businesses, particularly those that seek additional fees.

If youre visiting Canada youll need an eTA to board your flight unless youre otherwise exempted (for example, if you have a valid Canadian visa or a permanent resident card). If you have British-Canadian dual nationality you wont be able to apply for an eTA and youll need to present a valid Canadian passport to board your flight to Canada.

For more information about the eTA system, and to apply online, visit theofficial Canadian government website.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

Travellers who have been admitted to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme and make a short trip to Canada are usually readmitted to the United States under the VWP as long as they still meet the requirements. Granting entry under the VWP is a matter for the US authorities. You can check the US entry requirements on the website of theUS Customs and Border Protection.

The authorities in the country or territory youre travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If youre unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, youll need to contact theembassy, high commission or consulateof the country or territory youre travelling to.

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Canada. You can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation using an ETD.

If you intend to travel on to the United States you should check the entry requirements of the US authorities (see theUS section of the FCOs Travel Advice).

If you are travelling with children, and only one parent is present, you should carry a letter of consent from the non-travelling parent. Immigration officers have the right to question children using simple and appropriate language to establish whether there are any concerns about child abduction. A letter of consent may help to dispel potential concerns. For further information check with the Canadian High Commission or theCanada Border Services Agency.

GOV.UK uses cookies to make the site simpler.Find out more about cookies

British Citizens dont usually need a visa to visit Canada for short periods, but youll need to get an Electronic Travel Authorisation before you travel (see below). If you have a different type of British nationality or intend to travel for a longer period, check entry requirements with theCanadian High Commission. When you arrive you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds available to support yourself during your stay, even if youre staying with family and friends.

If you have any doubts about whether youre eligible to enter Canada (eg if you have a criminal record or have been arrested even if it did not result in a conviction), or about visa matters generally, contact theCanadian High Commissionbefore you travel.

All content is available under theOpen Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated

If youre travelling by land or sea, you wont need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel withacceptable travel documents and identification.